Lucy has been pretty nuts this week going on about how she thinks the wee beasties in SD are really extraterrestrials sent here by more superior wee beasties to take over the Earth after killing us all and using us as a food source in place of the bland flour and water diet they are on now.
I suggest that we not even listen to her this time since this apparently came to her in a dream she was having about Rin Tin Tin. She swears she is going to write a big buck, adventure, screen play about her dream none the less. That should keep her busy for a awhile.
This is Lucy’s 3rd shot at her take on a modern SFSD bread that has a bit of sprouted multi-whole grain in it and a sprouted bran levain. The 100% hydration levain has 15% pre-fermented flour all derived from the sprouted grains and using the bran for the first stage of the levain build. We used 8 g of NMNF starter for the 2 stage levain build.
This version had a bit less water in it, 70% overall, due it’s less whole sprouted grains in the mix than the other two. Other changes included retarding the built levain for 24 hours and retarding the shaped dough in the fridge for 12 hours and then letting it warm up for one hour on the counter as the oven heated up to 500 F.
We did our usual 1 hour autolyze of the dough flour, in this case all Alberton’s bread flour, 5 g each of red and white malt and water with the salt sprinkled on top. We did 3 sets of slap and folds of 30 ,4 and 4 slaps each and 2 sets of 4 stretch and folds from the compass points all on 30 minute intervals.
This week's smoked meats included a smoked bacon wrapped sausage made from the rest of this weeks smoked ribs chicken and sausage
We let the dough rest for 100 minutes before pre-shaping into a squat oval and then 10 minutes after that doing the final shaping and dropping it into and oval rice floured basket for the immediate dough retard. We decided to put it in seam side up this time and score it rather than seam side down without scoring like the previous 2 iterations.
When we popped the basket out if the trash can liner the next morning, it looked 90% proofed and by the time the oven was hot it was 95% proofed – just on the edge of going too far. We hoped it still had so pop left it for spring and bloom in the oven.
After 5 minutes of lid on combo cooker steaming we turned the oven down to 475 F for another 5 minutes and then down to 450 F for another 10 minutes so we were going for more of a bold bake this time. When the lid came off we were pleased to see that the spring and bloom were very nice and the blisters were thee too.
We baked it for 8 minutes with the lid off before removing the bread from the combo cooker bottom to finish baking on the bottom stone. 8 minutes more and the bread looked brown enough and when tested was 208.5 F so off to the cooling rack it went.
Yes we did peach, pear and strawberry galette for dessert and plenty of salads too.
I was a bit dsappointed when I sliced the loaf in half thinking that the bread wasnlt goinjg to be as open as hoped for - but then I sliced one quarter into slices and all was right in the bread world. The loaf was open, soft, moist and glossy.
The crust had gone soft but was still pretty dark, thin and very tasty -and it was sour and tangy too! Just like the old school SFSD in every regard but it was modern in every way. We will be dipping this one in oil, balsamic,cracked black pepper, fresh basil and grated parmesan tonight woth some manchego, brie and goat cheese
We also made 3 soups this week
Mushroom and chicken green chili sausage
Butternut squash, smoked sausage, corn and wild rice
Green chili, smoked chicken and green chili chicken sausage